Apprenticeship Preparatory Program
The Building Strong Communities program is an apprenticeship preparatory program that will prepare you for a career in the construction industry. This program offers individuals the opportunity to receive Union endorsed training, exposure and a “foot in the door” to a career in the trades. Program graduates will have an opportunity to interview with participating Construction Trade Unions and Contractors.
Building Strong Communities participation includes:
- Construction industry overview and information
- Union developed Multi Core Craft Curriculum
- Hands on exposure at various Union training centers
- Active construction site tours
- Personal protection equipment
- Job interviews with participating Unions and Contractors
- Program graduation coincides with start of 2021 construction season – early May
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Earned a high school diploma / GED / or equivalent.
- Ability to pass a drug screen.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- NOT currently enrolled in a construction union or construction trade training program.
- Must attend a Building Strong Communities Program Information Session.
- Legally able to work in the U.S.
Construction Career Awareness:
A career in the construction industry is typically a physically demanding profession. Daily work usually involves standing, walking, moving and carrying heavy equipment and materials. Construction work frequently requires being outside in the elements, confined spaces and heights. Workdays begin early mornings and may include weekends. Travel, including some long distance, is also an industry reality.
The Building Strong Communities program is developed in partnership with:
- Minneapolis Building and Construction Trade Council
- Iron Workers
- Operating Engineers
- Cement Masons
- Pipe Fitters
- Sprinkler Fitters
- Sheet Metal
- Sherman and Associates
- Lunda McCrossan Joint Venture
- City of Minneapolis
- North Hennepin Community College
- McKnight Foundation
- Metropolitan Council & Metro Transit
To learn more about program requirements and how to apply, please join us for one of our Building Strong Communities program virtual information sessions. Please check our “Up coming Events” section for scheduled Program Information Sessions dates and times.