Apprenticeship Preparatory Program
The Building Strong Communities program is an multi-trade apprenticeship preparatory program that will prepare you for a career in the construction industry. This program offers individuals the opportunity to receive Union endorsed training, exposure and a “foot in the door” to a career in the trades. Program graduates will have an opportunity to interview with participating Construction Trade Unions and Contractors.
Building Strong Communities participation includes:
- Construction industry overview and information
- Union developed Multi Core Craft Curriculum
- Hands on exposure at various Union training centers
- Active construction site tours
- Personal protection equipment
- Job interviews with participating Unions and Contractors
- Program graduation coincides with start of 2024 construction season – early May
- Be at least 18 years old, by May 1, 2024.
- Earned a high school diploma / GED / be scheduled to graduate by June, 2024.
- For PSEO candidates, you must be 18 by May 1, 2024 and / or scheduled to graduate by June, 2024.
- Ability to pass a drug screen.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- NOT currently enrolled in a construction union or construction trade training program.
- Must attend a Building Strong Communities Program Information Session.
- Legally able to work in the U.S.
Construction Career Awareness:
A career in the construction industry is typically a physically demanding profession. Daily work usually involves moving and carrying heavy materials and working around or with heavy equipment in operation. Construction work frequently requires being outside in the elements, confined spaces and heights. Workdays begin early mornings and may include weekends. Travel, including some long distance, is also an industry reality.